Re: The origin of flight: from the water up

Long, combined answer... let me start with

----- Original Message -----
From: "Waylon Rowley" <whte_rbt_obj@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, March 25, 2002 4:47 AM

> If you have many mouths to feed, you better be a good
> swimmer to catch the food necessary to ensure the
> survival of all the chicks.

I forgot something... dippers don't eat fish, or at least not normally,
small as they are. They are more interested in e. g. insect larvae. Maybe
that was the start, and the bigger fish-eater Archie a later
specialization... then the selection pressure on evolving more penguin-like
flippers would be even weaker.

*Rahonavis* has a joint between scapula and coracoid, unlike Archie and
Confuciusornithidae. Therefore it must have been a pretty good flier.

Regarding the beautiful picture
http://qilong.gq.nu/Sinornithosaurus%20in%20a%20tree.jpg, I can't see how
the animal can move in this position. It can get up there by vertical
running, and get down by jumping, fine, that's enough when it's just lurking
for prey on the ground, but I don't understand how it can climb upwards. Is
it supposed to?
        However, this problem solves itself when a considerably smaller tree
is used, as in... there was a beautiful photo of a *Deinonychus* skeleton
mounted on a tree trunk. I can't find it now. :.-(