Re: The origin of flight: from the water up

>> In the paper from yesterday there was an article
>> about pinguins. It basicly stated that evolution is progressing rapidly
>even
>> more so than it is expected. This is based on evidence from the bones of
>> long dead pinguins.
>
>Interesting.

This conclusion was reached by a study done by three New Sealanders (among
them David Lambert) and one Italian, who studied the DNA from 380 living
Adélie-pinguins and compared them to the DNA they had found in 96 88 to 6424
years old. In evolutionary terms extremely short, but it can give a good
overview for one species of animal. The age was determined with help of
carbon-dating from the organic material in the ground or from the bones
self. The study showed that with the mitochondriates DNA with some degree of
regularity small differences started to appear in the shape of mutations,
the building blocks of evolution. Those spontaneous changes are occuring so
regularly that some scientists (no names given) think that an evolutionary
clock could be based upon them.

>What is normal? (Thanks for a good argument against molecular clocks. :-) )

Your welcome, but again the paper is giving very sparce information
regarding these sort of things.

>> This counters the previously hold belief by scientist
>> that evolution occurs more slowly in the Arctic regions.
>
>Aha... anyone around here who believed that? I've never read this...

It would make sense though in a strange sort of way, but I'll have to study
that argument further. Does anyone know an immediate link to a website that
might contain such information?

>Do you have any numbers? Penguins are known from the Eocene when they had
>already reached quite some diversity.

The article was pretty short and contained little detail, although a picture
was printed. The source was Science, better to check their website for
supplementary information.

>> >"Rather an end with horror than a horror without end"... pretty recent
>> >German proverb.
>> >
>> The person who said that must have seen JPIII...
>
>It's a good comment to JPIII. The proverb is a lot older, though. :-)

Alright, maybe Anne of Bolin (one of the wives of Henry V from England)
would be a good bet than