Re: The origin of flight: from the water up (short!)

----- Original Message -----
From: <NJPharris@aol.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 12:01 AM

> > And in the non-flapping phases songbirds at least
> > don't glide, they simply tuck in their wings and fall.
>
> Try watching a starling sometime.

Good idea... :-] in the absence of starlings, I see quite a diversity:
sparrows do what I described above, blackbirds use wild combinations of
flapping, gliding and parachuting instead. So I stand partly corrected. All
these songbirds (Passeriformes) are pretty perfect fliers, though, and their
ancestors have been the same for tens of Ma.