Re: birds/dino-birds with teeth

-----Original Message-----
From: Jane P. Davidson <jdhexen@unr.edu>
To: dinosaur list <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Thursday, May 02, 2002 2:05 AM
Subject: birds/dino-birds with teeth

>Someone was asking me the other day what evolutionary advantage there
>could have been for birds to have lost their teeth? (btw Greg Paul's book
>is great--just finished it, now I am going back to re-read parts of it)
>
>So I put this question to you -- what advantage could there have been for
>birds to have evolved away from having teeth?  I thought that an
>interesting question.  Jane D

I`m sure this has been argued before (check the archives), but the
"standard" answer to this question, back in my undergrad days (way back),
was that it was part of the evolving avian form in an attempt to lose weight
and be therefor better adapted for flight. (I think I may be quoting prof
Max Hecht on this).