Collective Sigh of Whatever at new Archaean "Phylum"

They went ahead and made a new monotypic phylum. Under the old views of
systematics, this would normally require the erection of a new family,
order, and class, as well. So glad we got out of that with this new
"progressive" thinking.... I guess one good archaean group deserves
anaother? and in this case, the other is just so much smaller than the
first, deserving the Greek appellation _nano_ (dwarf, very small).

Huber, H.; Hohn, M.J.; Rachel, R.; Fuchs, T.; Wimmer, V.C.; and Stetter,
K.O. 2002. A new phylum of Archaea represented by a nanosized
hyperthermophilic symbiont. _Nature_ 417: 63-67.

Abstract:
  "According to small subunit ribosomal RNA (ss rRNA) sequence comparisons
all known Archaea belong to the phyla Crenarchaeota, Euryarchaeota,
and?indicated only by environmental DNA sequences?to the 'Korarchaeota'.
Here we report the cultivation of a new nanosized hyperthermophilic
archaeon from a submarine hot vent. This archaeon cannot be attached to
one of these groups and therefore must represent an unknown phylum which
we name 'Nanoarchaeota' and species, which we name 'Nanoarchaeum
equitans'. Cells of 'N. equitans' are spherical, and only about 400 nm in
diameter. They grow attached to the surface of a specific archaeal host, a
new member of the genus Ignicoccus. The distribution of the
'Nanoarchaeota' is so far unknown. Owing to their unusual ss rRNA
sequence, members remained undetectable by commonly used ecological
studies based on the polymerase chain reaction. 'N. equitans' harbours the
smallest archaeal genome; it is only 0.5 megabases in size. This organism
will provide insight into the evolution of thermophily, of tiny genomes
and of interspecies communication."

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden