Re: Paleoart vs Fantasy (what's the problem?)

> *** That in itself is a big part of the problem.  Because most people
don't
> have a more detailed understanding of the subject, they are limited in
terms
> of what to accept and what to question and will usually accept the opinion
> of the authority as fact.  They don't understand that it is often the
> process
> of discussion through opposing viewpoints that eventually establishes the
> truth of the matter.<<
>
> Mike, Mike, your taking this way to strong, ease up.

MS***  Ooouuuuu. . . no no no noooo . . . Nothing of the sort . . .
Just to clarify, I find this conversation both entertaining and amusing,
but hardly anything worth ruffling any "dinosaur feathers" over  :o) . . .
O.K. Let's try breathing into a paper bag for a minute. . . aanndddd
continue. . .

The thing is with the
> 'most people don't have a more etc' don't give a rat's ass about
dinosaurs,
> THEY don't care, THEY won't learn no matter what you try and tell them.
> DON'T worry about them, you can't help THEM. The others will understand
and
> WILL know the difference, THEY are the ones you need to concentrate on,
THEY
> will be egger to understand and be egger to ask and understand intelligent
> questions. You can't please everyone.

MS*** True enough.  There is a component of the public who has no real
interest
in dinosaurs and never will. No problem. There is also a percentage that
does have
interest, but for various reasons ranging from just not having access to and
/ or
learning more about paleo, to those who are just intimidated by posing any
questions
when they feel they are in unfamiliar territory, go away with misconceptions
about the
ideas they've encountered in some of these exhibits. I'm only interested in
ensuring
the benefit of clear information is available to those who are willing to
take advantage
of it.

> Has any media really listened? You'll just keep banging your head against
> the wall with them. The only way, THE ONLY WAY to get it right is to have
US
> (the paleontology community as a whole) make good movies, no other way
will
> work because the MEDIA won't listen, THEY know what THEY are doing. Just
sit
> back and answer questions people ask and you can ALWAYS tell the ones who
> are really interested because their eyes light up when you talk to them.

MS*** Of course many in the media are uninterested or uninformed, can twist
the
truth into a parody of a parody in a heartbeat and prefer to live by their
own agenda.
The paleo community can no more make a palatable dinosaur movie, than movie
makers
could write a decent monograph.  It's somewhat of a stalemate, except that
the public is much
more interested in watching bad movies ( I doubt that Hollywood style papers
on
dinosaurs would ever be a big hit ), so I'm pretty sure the movies will keep
on
being made.  Still, good information needs to be made available in the hopes
that
at some point, some of the media with clout, will assist (knowingly, or
otherwise)
in producing a product that serves paleo interests and is worth the price of
admission.

> This has happened to me at the Rock Shop I'm working at now (and in other
> places). You get the people who ask questions but know the 'wrong answers'
> or you get the ones who are truly interested and really listen and have
> really good feedback. I'll take that over media any day.

MS*** So, all you can do is cater to those who display real interest and
tell the
rest to have a nice day.  Over time, the goal is to talk to those who will
listen and
be patient while the public eventually "absorbs" it.