Re: birds/dino-birds with teeth

John Conway wrote:

> How about aerodynamic reasons? Having no lips, bird
> teeth would (very
> slightly) increase drag. This might go for toothless
> pterosaurs too. :-)>

Maybe beaks evolved to protect the snout against
biting prey animals, or when probing bark for insects.
I've seen the consequences of persistant rubbing of
the snout in skittish chinese water dragons....very
very nasty. In alot of animals, the nictitating
membrane shields the eye, so I don't see why a beak
wouldn't evolve to likewise shield the highly
sensitive noses of dinos. Just a thought.

Cheers,
Waylon Rowley