Earliest North American Tyrannosaurids

I was curious, which of the Tyrannosaurid species actually have the honour of being the first to be North American? And this was the time before they were the apex predator, so who was the top predator back then? Any facts/speculations that can give me a better idea on this rather murky aspect of Tyrannosaurid history? Most people are rather sure of the era of Tyrannosaurus rex dominace supreme, but they all had to start somewhere, whatever happened up in the north Americas to the other large theropod designs that were once common fare?