Re: A morphological query

From: StephanPickering@cs.com

W. Nachtigall, in his 1974 Insects in flight, noted that macrochaetes
are sound absorbers, protecting them from bats and some (?most) avian
predators. Let us speculate: would the feathers of the small theropods >have absorbed sound, protecting them from larger predators?

Are you suggesting that maybe some dinosaurs used a sort of echolocation for tracking prey? I'm by no means an expert, but I can't really picture that happening. I mean, I'm sure a dinosaur's "proto"-feathers could absorb sound to some degree. But what kind of animals were feeding on small theropods? Bigger theropods. And I'm not so sure they were so well equipped as to use echolocation to track prey.
On another note, what sort of birds are known to use echolocation? The only ones I'm aware of are swiflets.

Jordan Mallon