Re: In (premature) defense of the USNM

<The creatures that fall into this category were all almost surely
feathered/fuzzy ancestrally...>

The group under discussion are those found without any indication
of feathered/fuzzy integument.
The range being considered is between making no inferences (which
Mike is defining as conservative) and asserting inferences are
unassailable facts.
Given his usage of the word conservative, which, with my experience,
I define as 'change/add as little as possible' in this context,
I'd agree with him.  There are other definitions, though.
How are you defining conservative?