Re: In defense of paleoart (was: Re: In (premature) defense of the USNM)

> IMHO paleoart is something between art - which allows interpretation,
> speculation - and science.  Each artist has his style, his media, his way
> draw or paint animals and landscapes, and, as we'll NEVER know how
dinosaurs
> REALLY looked like, each artist has his way to imagine them.
> I think paleoart is a complement to science, and the paleoartist will
change
> his point of view as new discoveries are made, just see HP Luis Rey's
> website or inteview in PT.

***MS Yes, while paleoart takes a step beyond the regimented
facts of the science, it also "mirrors" the progress made in
paleontology, recording both the advancements and errors made
along the way.

> Do you mean one souldn't draw a reconstruction of, for example,
> _Sinovenator_, _Rahonavis_, _Beipiaosaurus_,  _Spinosaurus_ or
> _Leaellynasaura_?

***MS  No not at all, just approach them with the realization that the
margin for error can be affected greatly by the amount of the specimen
(or lack there of) you have available to consider, before applying pencil
to paper.

> Yes, and it's not only the animals and their behaviour we try to
illustrate,
> but also the extinct ecosystems, and IMHO one will compare them with
extant
> ecosystems ether in a scientifical way, or in an artistic way, or both -
see
> my attempt here:
> http://www.egyptdinos.org/PT_Bailly.html

***MS  Once again, the inherent problems expand at an exponential rate. Why
was it I decided to get involved in all of this as a career choice (
scratching of
head). . .

> May I ask to the paleoartists WHY they came to paleoart and WHY they're
> drawing life reconstrucions?
> I'm sure there are several reasons:
> - interest in science, paleontology and dinosaurs of course,
> - the need to imagine what's prehistoric life like,
> - the need to illustrate wild nature and strange landscapes,
> - and for me it's also an artistic CHALLENGE; sometimes, more difficult
the
> subject is, more fun have I to try to illustrate it.

*** MS   "Paleo art. . . the final frontier. . .( background "Da-da -daaaa.
.
da da da da Daaaaaa!!!). . . to go where no man has gone before" . . .

THE QUEST FOR THE UNKNOWN SUCKS US IN AND DRIVES US ON. . .

Up, Up,...and Away!!!...

Cheers,

Mike Skrepnick