Re: In defense of paleoart (was: Re: In (premature) defense of the USNM)

***Hi George,

> I'd say you're being too self-deprecating. The appearance of a
self-conscious
> species on this planet has certainly changed it and will continue to
change
> it, but certainly no more than the anaerobes and plants that filled the
> earth's atmosphere with oxygen. Evolution is about change, and for better
or
> for worse, the advent of humanity represents one of the bigger changes in
the
> nature of terrestrial life. Just wait until cyber-life appears...

***  If we had the intellect of the other simple organisms populating the
planet, I could
write off our conduct as excusable.  As it is, most of what we seem to
"accomplish"
is purely in the name of exploitation.  We seem to think that just because
we're at the top
of the food chain ( and are "aware" of it ), that it is our inherent right
to assume a
managerial role in respect to the rest of the "entourage" beneath us.
Natural
evolutionary process has managed quite well for several billion years
without us
sticking our "opposable thumbs" in it. What is it that makes our egocentric
"self"
think that we are capable of something better?  When we actually gain the
intelligence to realize we're better off living "with" the planet, instead
of trying to
dominate and change it to suit our level of comfort, maybe then we will have
reached
a recognizable position of superiority.  And as for "cyber-life". . . little
more than an
oxymoron at best. . .  If this is the BEST we are capable of, it makes me
wonder how
much better off the planet might have been, had the terrestrial dinosaurian
component
maintained an unchallenged state of sovereignty. . .  We as a species, have
had a few
meager triumphs for which we can take credit, but when we compare body size
to the
percentage of "grey matter" we haul around on our shoulders every day, all
in all its a
still a pretty poor showing. . .

Cheers (I think),

Mike S.