Re: 3 x Re: flight stroke (pretty short)

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 10:46:35AM -0500, Williams, Tim sent:
> Graydon wrote:
> > Another is that _every other_ known arboreal vertebrate glider use a
> > sprawling posture, even the parachuting snakes.
>
> Every other other known arboreal vertebrate glider evolved from quadrupedal
> ancestors - or legless in the case of snakes.  Birds, by contrast, evolved
> from bipeds.

Yup.

Which suggests to me that all the gliding models we've got to observer
are wrong, and that things like the assisted vertical running hypothesis
are on the correct track.

--
graydon@dsl.ca   |  Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre,