Re: Gallimimus bullatus

Graeme Worth (gmbra@cygnus.uwa.edu.au) wrote:

<I note that in Mesozoic Vertebrate Life there is a paper by Hurum on the
lower jaw of Gallimimus bullatus. This is a species I've heard mentioned
before, but I understood it was only a nomen nudum at best. Has it
actually been described somewhere? Is this paper the description? Anyone
have any more info?>

  Back in 1972, Osmolska, Roniewicz, and Barsbold described this largest
ornithomimid in _Palaeontologia Polonica_. I'm surprised you have not
heard of this taxon, as it is the best represented and most complete
ornithomimid known, including complete juvenile and adult skeletons and
skulls. Paul's PDW figures it prominently, and Hurum's work on the jaws of
*Gallimimus* are part of the work he is doing (some with Currie) to
describing the mechanics of the jaws in tyrannosaurids. Jørn Hurum is
currently working on his synthesis of this work and his *Tarbosaurus*
skull osteology.

Osmólska, H.; Roniewicz, E.; and Barsbold R. 1972. A new dinosaur,
Gallimimus bullatus n. gen., n. sp., from the Upper Cretaceous of
Mongolia. _Palaeontologica Polonica_ 27: 103-143. [w/ Polish summary].

  Dale Russell, in his 1972 monograph on Canadian ornithomimes, referenced
this work, but could not include the data due to professional courtesy.

  Russell, D.A. 1972. Ostrich dinosaurs from the Late Cretaceous of
western Canada. _Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences_ 9: 375-402.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden