RE: Gallimimus bullatus

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> gmbra@cygnus.uwa.edu.au
>
> I note that in Mesozoic Vertebrate Life there is a paper by Hurum on the
> lower jaw of Gallimimus bullatus. This is a species I've heard mentioned
> before, but I understood it was only a nomen nudum at best. Has
> it actually
> been described somewhere? Is this paper the description? Anyone have any
> more info?

Ummm...

_Gallimimus bullatus_ is a very, very well established ornithomimid.  It is
the ONLY species of ornithomimid for which there is a comprehensive
osteology (OSMOLSKA, H., RONIEWICZ, E & BARSBOLD, R. (1972) - A new
dinosaur, Gallimimus bullatus n. gen., n. sp. (Ornithomimidae) from the
Upper Cretaceous of Mongolia. Palaeontol. Polonica, 27: 103-143.)  It's the
one I named "Bullatosauria" after.

Heck, it is even the species featured in Jurassic Park!!

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite