BASAL TYRANNOSAURS

On non-tyrannosaurid tyrannosauroids, Tracy wrote...

> Dan Chure and I did a poster at last years SVP about Morrison
> Tyrannosaurids (based on teeth and Stokesaurus, and one tooth that
> Bakker referred to Dromaeosauridae but it's a Tyrannosauroid) and
> premaxillary tooth from Guimorta Portugal (I want to get the paper
> published but need to figure out where to have it done). Tom Holtz
> (maybe et al, I haven't added last years papers to my data base yet,
> but have been able to start) has also mentioned this (possibly Thomas
> Carr also). These were small, possibly small coelurosaur sized
> animals. Allosaurus was the top predator at the time.

Tyrannosauroid material (teeth and an ilium) from
Guimarota has been figured/described by Zinke (1998,
_Palaontologische Zeitschrift_ 72, 179-189) and Rauhut (in
_Guimarota: a Jurassic Ecosystem_). Zinke described the
teeth as tyrannosaurid: however, there is no evidence for
this (i.e. they are probably instead from non-tyrannosaurid
tyrannosauroids). Tracy has also referred to non-
tyrannosaurid tyrannosauroids as tyrannosaurids (e.g. in
_Prehistoric Times_).

These specimens and others are discussed in Tom's review
of tyrannosaur phylogeny in _Mesozoic Vertebrate Life_
and also in my paper on _Eotyrannus_ (2001, _Cretaceous
Research_ 22, 227-242). Incidentally I have heard rumours
that the Guimarota _Stokesosaurus_ material is to be given
its own taxon - don't know how reliable this is though. As
for _Eotyrannus_, new prep work has revealed lots of new
detail.. will still be a while before we can publish it though.

Tracy, there are plenty of journals that would accept your
paper - how ready is it to submit?

Darren Naish
University of Portsmouth
Burnaby Building
Burnaby Road                           email:
darren.naish@port.ac.uk
PO1 3QL                                www.palaeobiology.co.uk