Cetaceans in Nature ... Again

New in _Nature_:

Spoor, F.; Bajpai, S.; Hussain, S.T.; Kumar, K.; & Thewissen, J.G.M. 2002.
Vestibular evidence for the evolution of aquatic behavior in early
cetaceans. _Nature_ 417: 163-166.

  The earliest Cetacea show that negative allometry in semicircular canal
size in modern whales started early, in that taxa as old as
*Ichthyolestes* (pakicetid) show evidence of such smaller semi-circular
canals than even larger sized terrestrial animals, and that this indicates
that even the walking whales were adapting to life in the water. The
earliest whale has yet to be found, and pakicetids were probably
accomplished in the water and more otter-like than previously considered.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden