RE: flight stroke (pretty short)

David Marjanovic wrote:

> It's more complicated than that... *Rahonavis* has much longer wings
> than *Archaeopteryx* (and *Confuciusornis*; it's closer to *Sapeornis*)

True; but, in its overall proportions ('bauplan') _Rahonavis_ still looks
more like _Archaeopteryx_ than the higher birds that dominated Late
Cretaceous avifaunas.

By the way, the idea that bird flight came from underwater swimming was
proposed quite a while ago, back in 1990:

Waldon, R.A. (1990).  A HYPOTHESIS ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF FLIGHT AND THE
EVOLUTION OF BIRDS.  Speculations in Science and Technology 13(3): 163-166.

I haven't read the paper - and I don't suppose I ever will, after perusing
the abstract...

Abstract:  It is suggested that birds may have evolved from reptiles via an
aquatic epoch.  First, an aquatic reptile would have developed flippers for
swimming, and these, through an intermediate form like the flippers of the
penguin, could have evolved into wings.  This solves the problem of what use
limbs would be that were intermediate between legs and wings, for the animal
would be unable to run on them or to fly with them.  The answer is that he
could swim with them.

!!!???

Tim