Re: flight stroke (pretty short)

> Waldon, R.A. (1990).  A HYPOTHESIS ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF FLIGHT AND THE
> EVOLUTION OF BIRDS.  Speculations in Science and Technology 13(3):
163-166.

> [...]
>
> !!!???

Wow! That guy doesn't even start with a bipedal dinosaur! And that in 1990!
:-D -- I could argue that the general idea is much older. In 1905 a certain
E. Ray Lankester, Director of the Natural History Departments of the British
Museum, wrote "In fact it is now certain that reptiles similar to the
Iguanodon were the stock from which birds have been derived, the front limb
having become probably first a swimming flipper or paddle, and then later an
organ for beating the air and raising the creature out of the water for a
brief flight. From such a beginning came the feather-bearing wing of modern
birds." In his famous book, Heilmann understood "similar to the Iguanodon"
as "ornithopod" rather than "bipedal dinosaur" and took that so seriously
that he devoted 20 pages to show in detail that birds cannot have descended
from ornithopods. :-)
        And then Heilmann "speculated on the possibility of a slender
bipedal reptile that climbed trees and glided among them 230 million years
ago in Triassic times. He wrote the following somewhat [British
understatement] Lamarckian alternative to Lankester's account, which seems
to me just as risible as Lankester's:
        'At that far away time, the blood of the small reptile-like
creatures, hopping from branch to branch in the trees of the Lower Trias,
must have been fermenting [unhealthy, huh?] with new yearnings and longings.
Impelled by an unconscious desire, they tried to jump farther and farther;
there was a queer and stimulating sensation of pleasure in challenging
thechance of missing, the risk of a dangerous fall;'" :-D :-D

Jeff J. Liston: Archaeopteryx and the Evolution of Feathered Flight: The
Hidden Story, Dinosaur Society Quarterly 4(1), 6 -- 14 (November 2000)