Re: K-T mammals

Perhaps more true than you know.  It is very possible that
some/many/most/all modern orders made it through.  The molecular studies
say most modern orders diverged well before the K/T.  The fossil record is
controversial.  A study by Foote _et al_ in Science a while ago (ref. if
needed) found that it was unlikely that gaps in the record meant missing
fossils.  A new study in _Nature_ about a month ago found that if you
include the likely number of missing species (i.e., we know that only a
small proportion of species actually fossilize) then the
(statistical) fossil record of mammals is pushed back to agree with
molecular data (I'd love to hear informed opinion on this study).  Add to
this the claim of Archibald that most placental
"extinction" is actually pseudoextinction--the result of rapid
speciation--then you have a pretty good claim for saying that mammals did
not have such a bad day.

And just to throw one more log on the fire, an article in the latest
_Discover_ mag is written by Horner's cowriter, Edwin Dobb, about
Horner
and Clemens finding that dinosaurs were in big
trouble measurably _before_ the event.  I know it's not a peer reviewed
paper...