Re: DA Archaeopteryx Carpal and Manus Question

As I stated in DA, the avian attributes that have been published in the wrist
and hand of Archaeopteryx but not other avepectoran dinosaurs are in Zhou &
Martin 1999. These characters are listed in Appendix 1B. As I note, all of
these features are associated with the flight, so their absence in dinosaurs
that may be neoflightless is not necessarily phylogenetically as relevant as
Z&M and others believe.

What is phylogentically as well as functionally relevant, as I explain in the
book, is that sinornithosaur dromaeosaur hands possess an advanced flight
feature that Archaeopteryx does not, a well developed flange on the base of
the central finger for the support of a large array of well developed flight
feathers. Yet sinornithosaurs lacked such a wing as shown by the preserved
feathers. This is the common combination in flightless birds. How the
presence of such a sophisticated flight feature can be explained without
invoking a flight heritage more advanced than that of Archaeopteryx is by no
means clear.

GP