Re: flight stroke (pretty short)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Waylon Rowley" <whte_rbt_obj@yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2002 4:47 AM

> If I understand HP Marjanovic[...] correctly, birds
> flew further and further from the water.

I didn't mean away from the water and behind the beach. I just meant out of
the water and around above it.

> So far escape from predators
> or a better vantage point on prey has been
> proposed. I doubt the latter suggestion is true, since
> water refracts light, and would confuse it.

It's easier to see something that's under the surface from above than from
the same level or from the surface. Of course that's not true from every
angle (when the sun shines).

> As for the escape idea What kind of aquatic predators
> would prey on little birds?

Who knows... ichthyosaurs, plesiosaurs, crocs, big fish...