Re: Thylacine rumours...

As long as we're expressing opinions about cloning, allow me to say that I am far less enthralled with it in this instance, if only for the reason that we would be resurrecting an animal that has little, if any, natural habitat remaining in which to live.  No doubt, however, that they would be a profitable exhibit for zoos.  The science of cloning is impressive, but the wisdom of applying that knowledge to such efforts escapes me. I would personally like to the money that will be spent to clone Thylacines spent to preserve some habitat of those many other animal populations that are not yet extinct, but are endangered or threatened.

PTN

----- Original Message -----
From: Ann Schmidt
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 1:11 PM
To: r.grenyer@ic.ac.uk; dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Thylacine rumours...

I can't wait to hear the news, it would be wonderful if they even got enough funding for the cloning attempt.  And just imagine if they succeed, the application to other recently or possibly extinct species would be very exciting.  I wonder if they could get enough DNA from a Great Auk skin...

Though I personally believe the Thylacine still exists in Tasmania and possibly eslewhere this cloning attempt may be the only chance I ever have to see one in the flesh and in color.