Re: dinotopia is just tv

From: John Conway <john_conway@mac.com>

I disagree, although children will realize they are watching a story, they will also assume that the dinosaurs are visually accurate. After all, why shouldn't they be?

I agree with John in this case. I think "first impressions" are what it's all about, and if you're going to introduce someone as acquiescent as a child to a new dinosaur, it is important to be accurate and make a good first impression. When the news of _Giganotosaurus_ came to light a few years ago, some of the first images I saw of the animal were Robert Walters' green interpretations (http://www.dinoart.com/images/license/giganotosaurus.jpg). Now, everytime I hear the dinosaur's name, I think back to Walters' depiction of the animal.

At any rate, for what it's worth, I was more saddened by the acting than by the portrayals of the dinosaurs. That David kid couldn't act his way out of a paper bag!

Jordan Mallon

http://www.geocities.com/paleportfolio/