Re: dinotopia is just tv

On Monday, May 13, 2002, at 11:46 PM, Jenny Lando wrote:

We all get too worked up about scientific accuracy. This is a Disney production for children - something fun and exciting for them to watch. And yes, there will be some merchandising around it. But it will not confuse the children as being scientifically correct. They will not start capturing mosquitoes hoping to clone a T. rex, instead, they will realize
they are watching a STORY. One person's idea of what would happen in a human & dinosaur society.

I disagree, although children will realize they are watching a story, they will also assume that the dinosaurs are visually accurate. After all, why shouldn't they be?

Peoples understanding of dinosaurs is very "fuzzy". They are bombarded with images, and may not be able to remember what context they picked up their impression. Their understanding of the appearance of dinosaurs (and other extinct animals) is going to be based on the totality of images, not the authority of the context they saw them in.

The possible "damage" done by such movies and television is not misunderstandings about behaviour etc., but to the perception of appearance.

So, we should do our level best to make sure that ALL the images that get out there are as scientifically accurate as possible.

John Conway, Palaeoartist

"All art is quite useless." - Oscar Wilde

Protosite: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/
Systematic ramblings: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/phylogenic/