RE: K-T mammals

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Steve Brusatte
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2002 12:11 PM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: K-T mammals

On Sun, 12 May 2002 14:42:21
 Dinogeorge wrote:
>In a message dated 5/12/02 8:14:12 AM EST, jbois@umd5.umd.edu writes:
>
><< They're not talking about elimination before--they're saying that there
> was a steep decline in diversity and numbers (if memory serves) in the
> Hell Creek formation. >>
>
>If there was indeed a pre-KT dinosaur decline in the Hell Creek (big "if"),
>it could have had any number of different local explanations and probably
had
>very little to do with the global KT dinosaur extinction event.

Exactly.  IIRC, much of the new data seem to indicate that the Western
Interior Seaway was still active (i.e., transgressing and regressing) much
later than originally thought.  Obviously, the action of this seaway would
have been a major influence on the flora and fauna of the area (as has
already been indicated by Sampson and others in older sediments).  It would
be nice if there were a few other Hell Creekesque sites on other continents
where these data collected in the Hell Creek could be tested better.<<

At the Sandy Site in South Dakota, there is a huge diversity of the latest
Maastrichtian fauna, dinosaurs, etc. But since it's a 'privately' collected
site...

And, if memory serves me correctly, I thought Jack Horner didn't care about
dinosaur extinction! :-)<<

Right, but why then is there a huge article in the recent Discovery magazine
with Jack on extinction? I was surprised to see that TOPIC and him :) .

Steve

Tracy L. Ford
P. O. Box 1171
Poway Ca  92074