Re: K-T mammals

On Fri, 10 May 2002, David Marjanovic wrote:

> > And just to throw one more log on the fire, an article in the latest
> > _Discover_ mag is written by Horner's cowriter, Edwin Dobb, about
> > Horner and Clemens finding that dinosaurs were in big
> > trouble measurably _before_ the event.  I know it's not a peer reviewed
> > paper...
>
> Either they have some brand new evidence that contradicts the last few years
> in their entirety, or Dobb is talking about what happened 10 or 15 years
> ago, which I doubt... ~:-|
>         The last hadrosaur footprint occurs 37 cm below the boundary layer,
> anyway. A bit to the east, the last ammonite is within the last 10 cm.

They're not talking about elimination before--they're saying that there
was a steep decline in diversity and numbers (if memory serves) in the
Hell Creek formation.  They are leaning (according to Dobb) to the
asteroid as a knockout blow, a coup de grace after some other phenomena
had already played out--or was still playing out.  The great thing is that
they are actually gathering data.  So, we'll see.