Re: K-T mammals

Timothy Williamson wrote on 05/14/2002:

> On the flipside, we actually have no evidence that in some places
> (e.g. Australia, Antarctica) the non-avian dinosaurs did go extinct at
> the K/T boundary.
> (On the other hand, there's no evidence that they didn't.)

How about China? There's a report in New Scientist (No 2341, 4 May 2002, p.28) titled "Killer Blow" about a drilling operation in the Chicxulub crater in Mexico. Among other things it states:

Earlier this year more evidence emerged in support of a gradual extinction.
A team of geologists in China discovered dinosaur eggshells in rock layers
above the K/T boundary. Team leader Zu-kui Zhao of the Chinese Academy of
Sciences in Beijing says this is evidence that some species of dinosaur
survived for 250,000 years after the impact (Palaeogeography, Palaeoclima-
tology, Palaeoecology, vol 1178, p 1).
<<

Does anybody knows more about these findings and their reliabilty?

Cheers

Heinz Peter Bredow

P.S. It helps to have a scanner and character recognition software.