Re: Thylacine illustrations

Danvarner@aol.com wrote:

>  I highly recommend a visit to the website below that includes
> not only a Chas.R.Knight painting of a thylacine and young...
> http://www.naturalworlds.org/thylacine/moretopics/illustrations/illustrations.htm

The adult is based entirely on a photo, commonly thought to have been
"Ben" from Beaumaris Zoo in Hobart (who was captured with HER mother and
two siblings). Copying verbatum from a photo isn't much of an artistic
accomplishment if you ask me...

John Gould's sketch in the 1863 "The Mammals of Australia, Vol. 1" was
based on direct observation (albeit of captive animals). Now THAT'S art.

GIS, Archaeologist          http://www.geocities.com/dannsdinosaurs