Re: Thylacine illustrations

Danvarner@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/14/02 4:19:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> dannj@alphalink.com.au writes:
>
> << The adult is based entirely on a photo, commonly thought to have
> been
> "Ben" from Beaumaris Zoo in Hobart (who was captured with HER mother
> and
> two siblings). Copying verbatum from a photo isn't much of an artistic
>
> accomplishment if you ask me...>>
>
>       Are you positive? I was wondering if it wasn't from the same
> specimen in Washington DC that Gleeson portrayed. They were both there
> at the same time. DV

It's definitely from a well-known photograph. The enclosure seen in the
background is a dead ringer (excuse the pun) for the wire cages used in
the Hobart Zoo at the time. I believe the photo is also housed in the
Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery (according to "Tiger Tales" written by
Col Bailey).

GIS, Archaeologist          http://www.geocities.com/dannsdinosaurs