Thylacine Postscript

In a message dated 5/14/02 4:19:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dannj@alphalink.com.au writes:

<< The adult is based entirely on a photo, commonly thought to have been
"Ben" from Beaumaris Zoo in Hobart (who was captured with HER mother and
two siblings). Copying verbatum from a photo isn't much of an artistic
accomplishment if you ask me...

John Gould's sketch in the 1863 "The Mammals of Australia, Vol. 1" was
based on direct observation (albeit of captive animals). Now THAT'S art.>>

      I'm sorry, but I never was good at math. Knight and Gleeson created their artworks of the living Thylacine in Washington D.C. circa 1902. "Benjamin", formerly of the Hobart Zoo was captured in 1924 and died in September of 1936. I'll put up Gleeson and Knight against Gould any day! DV