RE: Ocean Ecosystems Unexpectedly Stable

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu] On Behalf
Of John Bois
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 9:27 PM
To: Richard W Travsky
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Ocean EcoSystems Unexpectedly Stable

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Richard W Travsky wrote:

> "What we
> think happened was that only these two big extinction events were
severe
> enough to so empty the world that the basic structure of the ecosystem
> itself had to be re-established," says Bambach.
Perhaps some information on hemispherical extinctions at least can be
derived from the last ice age as well as (as I understand) even greater
ice ages. These events although not necessarily world wide in themselves
they did effect the ecosystems world wide and catastrophically effected
the ecosystems in the hemisphere in which they occurred.

Yrs
paul