Re: Dinotopian observations of Mike Brett-Surman

I must say that Dinotopia is very good compared to other dinosaur movies I've seen, even though it's littered with inaccuracies and mistakes.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>
To: "dinosaur" <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 9:35 AM
Subject: Dinotopian observations of Mike Brett-Surman

> Mike (whose very busy with plans for field work this summer) asked me to
> point out the following observations of Dinotopia the TV Megathingy:
> ---------------------------
> Did you catch the following?
>
> Zippo is a "Stenonychosaurus".

That did bother me.

> The fresh water reptiles that attack the wooden bridge guarding the entrance
> to World Beneath are supposed to be MOSASAURS.

Sad, sad, very sad.

> When the ankylosaur senator interrupts Zippo's report about the World
> Beneath, the mayor says "the Alamosaurus is correct...........".

Maybe he meant Amtosaurus???

> Dinotopians are famous for their care of the dinosaurs. So why did they
> leave a 60 foot high metal covered brachiosaur outside during a lightning
> storm?
>
> The head master of the Skybax school says "since the two species diverged
> (pteranodons and tyrannosaurs) they haven't spoken to each other".

I missed that part.

> And of course - "chamosaurus is a hadrosaur".

Aarggh!

The way it was pronounced bothered me more than that (KAS-me-o-SAWR-us)
> ----------------------------
>
> Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
> Vertebrate Paleontologist
> Department of Geology Director, Earth, Life & Time Program
> University of Maryland College Park Scholars
> College Park, MD  20742

> http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite
> Phone: 301-405-4084 Email: tholtz@geol.umd.edu
> Fax (Geol):  301-314-9661 Fax (CPS-ELT): 301-405-0796

"Dinosaurs were not boring, and one can only make them so via ignorance"
—Gregory S. Paul, 1988

Michael Hanson

Website: Dinosaurworld (http://dinosaurworld.net)

Email: mhanson54@attbi.com