Re: Today's Stupid Question

> Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 11:56:58 -0400
> From: "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>
>
> > Right, no problem with the vertebral pneumaticity, but that (you'd
> > think) would lead to name like _Ornithospondylus_.
>
> In this case, "opsis" = "appearance".  Hence, "of bird like
> appearance", not "with a birdy face".

Makes sense, thanks.

[Though, well, _of course_ it's bird-like in "appearance".  What else
did Seely think we might interpret him as having done?  Sniffed it to
see if it _smells_ like a bird?  Time for someone to publish the
genus _Galligustus_ :-)  Oh, and please ...  No long thread about how
that's not the right way to say "tastes like chicken" in Latin!]

)_v__/\  "At one point Microsoft had at least nine separate internal
         implementations of SOAP, and only recently have these all
         been consolidated ... into four" -- Nat Friedman.