Re: Theropod limbs - how mobile?

You wrote:

>"Maximum working range" = 199 kg for the biceps alone.
>
>Kenneth Carpenter & Matt Smith: 9. Forelimb Osteology and Biomechanics of
>*Tyrannosaurus rex*, 90 -- 116 in Darren H. Tanke & Kenneth Carpenter (eds)
>+ Michael W. Skrepnick (art editor): Mesozoic Vertebrate Life. New Research
>Inspired by the Paleontology of Philip J. Currie, Indiana University

HP John Conway's post says it all so I don't have to emphasize.

>> >Were they getting _progressively_ shorter? Aren't all known
tyrannosaurid
>> >arms of pretty similar sizes?
>> >
>> Do I need to say more than: "Eotyrannus lengi"???
>
>Yes. Three points are not enough to show a straight line is present. :-)

Better is not available at the moment, a lot would be solved if some good
Mid Cretaceous material will be found of a Tyrannosaur. Juveniles don't
count, as has been shown in the redescription of Shanshanosaurus the
evidence in the material shows that the forelimbs are proportionally not
longer than in adults. Have to finish my reconstruction to see if this
holds, but for now, I trust in Curries expertise. But to continue:
"Eotyrannus lengi has a proportionally longer forelimb compared to the
hindlimb than in it's descendants (not that it's hard or anything :)) So,
untill we have no intermediate "dots" the best comparison can be made on
basis of this basal animal.

>There's a contradiction, isn't there? -- Who mentioned PDW? *Albertosaurus
>arctunguis* and *A. megagracilis* (aka *Dinotyrannus*) are now considered
>young *T. rex*. While many parts of PDW do still hold, 1988 was 14 years
>ago. :-)

Exactly, who mentioned PDW? It wasn't me and no further mentioning was made
in this thread about this title. But I'll quit here with this part, we don't
want this thread to end in a sort of HP Mickey Mortimer vs. HP Jaime Headden
type of  way a short while back.
Albertosaurus arctuinguis is not referable to Tyrannosaurus IIRC, instead,
it has been referred to Albertosaurus sarcophagus. The postcranial material
may look similair to T.rex, but the skull is very alike the type skull of A.
sarcophagus so the referral is more certain. "Dinotyrannus" a juvenile
T.rex, agreed, although the skullmaterial is fragmentary. Therefore it will
be listed on my webpage as Tyrannosaurini indet.