Re: Deinonychus hunting techniques (was Re: Benton et al.'s Supertree & The ecology of the Cloverly formation)

>> The same method was used in the possible aboreal Microraptor and was
>> retained in the more advanced genus Deinonychus. A feather covering
>> provided the lift to manouver and stabilized the animal before it
>> arrived at the back of the prey. [snip] But as you have said, the
>> hindlimb abilities of Deinonychus suggests also that the jump could
>> have been made from the ground. Still, the stabilisation
>> holds for the arms. You can laugh if you want,
>
>Laugh?  I think it's a brilliant idea.  I've suggested a similar hypothesis
>a while back.  It's also a very similar idea to the 'Pouncing Proavis'
>hypothesis advanced by Garner et al. (1999).

Jippie! Something that we agree about here. :) But could you please
elaborate on the "Pouncing Proavis?"

>> But...there's always a "but", how incredibly strong were the arms of
>> T.rex  and what was their limit of subduing or holding prey? Doubt they
>> could have held down a Anatotitan or Triceratops.
>
>Not 'hold down' so much as help to hold the prey in place.

Would this not result in a weird sort of Tyrannosaur acrobatics? I mean, the
T.rex should have climbed on the back of a Triceratops to have it use his
arms this way. Should we start considering a jumping Tyrannosaurus rex?>

>Tim

Rutger Jansma