Re: Vestigial Arms (was: Theropod limbs - how mobile?)

On Sunday, May 19, 2002, at 08:26 PM, David Marjanovic wrote:

Very difficult according to Fig. 9.13C. The claws point inwards, and any
rotation of the forearm is impossible.

This is what I am picturing. I'll draw a picture.

I look forward to that :-)

Here is how I picture tyrannosaurids using their arms for intraspecific combat. The claws are pointed inward, and very little (if any) forearm rotation is necessary.

http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/tyrannosaurus-armwrestle.jpg

(Just a quick sketch, I'm not going for any art prizes here.)

John Conway, Palaeoartist

"All art is quite useless." - Oscar Wilde

Protosite: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/
Systematic ramblings: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/phylogenetic/