Re: Vestigial Arms (was: Theropod limbs - how mobile?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Conway" <john_conway@mac.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 4:05 PM

> Anyway, all you have to
> do is move the two rex's closer together, and the shoulder hasn't got to
> swing out so far (not that I think they really are, see below).

I still think the humerus of the left one is rotated too far about its long
axis in any case, so that the forearm points laterally... looks like any
such rotation was impossible. -- But the right tyrannosaur looks pretty
plausible.

> > At least the left wrist of the left one is flexed
> > too far,
>
> I's a SKETCH, not a definitive diagram. What do you want for twenty
> minutes work?

Okay, okay. :-) But apparently the wrists were too stiff to allow anything
like this in principle.

> > and what are the big, pointed claws good for?
>
> ?.... the casts I have handled have big, pointed claws. Even if this
> isn't right, it doesn't make much difference to the point we are arguing.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, they are correct, but if this is all what
*T. rex* did with its arms, why would it retain the claws?

> > -- And were they
> > capable of standing so upright?
>
> The drawing is from underneath, to give a better view of the arms (not
> all drawings are from a horizontal viewing angle!).

> Look, all I really wanted to do is illustrate a point, so you would know
> what meant.

Sure. I'm grateful. Otherwise we'd still wave around words for nothing.

> I think that idea is plausible, and I have the picture to
> prove it. :-)

And now I try to show that the picture is impossible :-)