RE: Large man-sized KT dromies

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> no go
>
> All said and done, "The
> Ultimate Guide:
> T.rex" is almost certainly a more informative and scientific piece of
> documentry production then what I just witnessed.

Except of course for a certain UMd tyrannosaur worker who had scenes cut out
at the last minute and his name misspelled in the credits...  Grrr....

But I'm not bitter...

> Now with my whimsical grumblings on the grave "injustice" done to our
> theropod friend done, I shall now ask my question. In the final
> scene where
> they showed a "mean and stinky" T.rex chasing other predators
> from a kill,
> which no doubt happened quite often, the predators in this case
> appeared to
> be man-sized dromies. I am not too clear on this, but aren't the dromies
> that existed in T.rexes' time quite a bit smaller then that? Or were they
> beefed up to make the idea of killing a 5-ton Triceratops feasible? Am I
> missing something?

You are not missing anything.  There are as yet no large dromaeosaurs known
from Lancian (Hell Creek, Lance, Scollard, etc.) formations.  They were pure
fantasy.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742