Fw: Theropods/pterosaurs -- pollinators?

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Febo <larryf@capital.net>
To: StephanPickering@cs.com <StephanPickering@cs.com>; dinosaur@usc.edu <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Date: Monday, May 20, 2002 8:29 AM
Subject: Re: Theropods/pterosaurs -- pollinators?

Larry Febo wrote:

<If my theorizing is correct, then pterosaurs could not have been pollinators. It seems to me that pterosaurs were "top heavy", and therefor clumsy at landings. I believe they were probably restricted to landing on flexible cycad or palm branches rather than the more stiff gymnosperm and angiosperm variety. I don`t think they could make a precise landing on a stiff branch, as a bird (with well developed acrocoracoid process) could. A bird could hover, and break its fall just before landing. Though some pterosaurs (the anurognathids) might have fed upon flying insects, I doubt that they nested in flowering trees.
Another point of contention is that there may not have been any insect eating pterosaurs by the end of the Cretaceous (perhaps outcompeted by birds?). If there were, one might have expected to see some survive past the K-T boundary, as many small insect-eating forms seem to have done.>
 ...and, I must add (before someone corrects me), in addition to the acrocoracoid process (which indeed pterosaurs also have), it is the furcula with it`s energy storing capacity, and the flight feathers with thier ability to provide air resistance on the downstroke, and allow air to "pass through" on the upstroke that facilitate the ability of small birds to hover. whereas pterosaurs most likely could not.IMHO...8^)