Re: OMEISAUR CLUBS, PACHYRHINOSAUR

You wrote:

>Ye et al. recently reported the presence of an expanded
>club-like structure on the tail of _Mamenchisaurus
>hochuanensis_ (_Vertebrata PalAsiatica_ 39, 266-271).
>They describe the distal caudals as fused together and
>forming a 'cocks-comb' shaped lump. If they are correct and
>this is not some sort of bizarre pathology then the presence
>of such a structure in _Mamenchisaurus_ could support the
>presence of a tail club in _Omeisaurus_. Incidentally, Ye et
>al. regard _Omeisaurus_ as club-bearing and describe its
>club as hammer-shaped and thus like that of
>_Shunosaurus_.

The tailclub could very well be a pathological thing, when the end was
bitten by a Sinraptorid and got infected or something, but what do you mean
with a "cocks-comb"?

On an episode of "Jurassica" about Chinese Dinosaurs ("When Dinosaurs Ruled
China" IIRC) there was a segment with Dale Russel which had a club-specimen
of Omeisaurus on it's lap. It might have been from a Shunosaurus, but at
this point, who knows. I trust his expertise on this one.

>Ben Creisler reported...

> New species of Pachycephalosaurus from Alberta:
> http://www.canada.com/edmonton/story.asp?id={E3DEABE4-EF6F-
> 40BE-AC1A-C77B3C0AB006}

>Ben made a freudian slip... this is the Pipestone Creek
>_Pachyrhinosaurus_, not _Pachycephalosaurus_.

Haven't "unicorn"-horned Pachyrhinosaurus been known for some years now?
There is an illustration of a Pachyrhinosaurus skull in the Dinosauria which
showed this element from Lull 1933, so there is nothing "new" about it. Why
consider it a new species all of a sudden? Pachyrhinosaurus is not known
from that many specimens so variation with sexes is as yet undetermined for
example.

>Finally, 'Leonardo' the new brachylophosaur specimen from
>Montana (also reported here by Ben) allegedly has a tongue
>preserved. Assuming it >is< a tongue I think this is a first.

Maybe some behavioral elements about Hadrosaurian love life can be studied
now. :)

Rutger Jansma