Re: Oviraptor classification

At 12.35 20/05/2002 -0500, ashmidt@flash.net wrote:
Some time ago there was a long disussion on the list about the classification of Oviraptor (I now can't find it in the archives though).  If I remember right among the conclusions to it were that the creature we normally see illustrated as O. philoceratops is not really O. philoceratops and that the classification of the genus needs serious revision.  Has anything been done yet/are there papers in the making that will solve this problem?  I'd especially like to know what species those "brooding" Oviraptors are someday.

The only valid specimen assigned to Oviraptor philoceratops is the holotype AMNH 6517. The animal  normally illustrated as Oviraptor (IGM 100/42) is now assigned to the genus Citipati (probably a new species of this genus). Even the most famous brooding oviraptorid, Big Mom (IGM 100/979), is assigned to Citipati for the similarity of the maxilla to that of the holotype of this species (IGM 100/978). The other brooding oviraptorid IVPP V9608 was assigned by Dong and Currie (1996) to the species Oviraptor philoceratops, but this conclusion is questionable.

Bye bye

MARCO AUDITORE
"Volounteer of Museo Paleontologico Cittadino, Monfalcone"
Via S.Giovanni Battista, 7/23
16154 GENOVA SESTRI P. - ITALY
Tel: +39-010-6044259
E-mail: