Re: Drawing tools (was: Re: How did you become "Paleo Artist?")

On Tuesday, May 21, 2002, at 04:20 AM, Brett Booth wrote:

Hello all,

Pencil hardness is what the artist feels comfortable with. In California I
use a 3H-4H (for ME the B's are too soft and smear, I use the H's for both
my Dinosaurs and my Comic Book/Illustration work.) In FLorida, because of
the humidity, 4H is too hard so I use 2H. I used to use a mechanical pencil
with a .03 lead (or .3 I can't remeber now) now I use a drafting lead holder
a kneaded eraser and a vinyl eraser (one of those click pen things.) You
don't need to spend alot of money to get good supplies:)

Your style is unusual, you use sharp lines with no shading in the pencil work I have looked at. For shading purposes, soft pencils are better. This is not MY theory, it is how drawing is taught. (In fact, they make you draw with charcoal at every opportunity in art-school.) As for expense, I never spend more than 70c (40c US) a pencil, and use the same erasers you do. :-)

I beg to differ. Alot's in the paper. HP GSP uses special paper to get that
look. I prefer a plate bristol, very slick surface, at least 2 ply. Again
it's all up ot the artist and what he feels comfortable with:)

Again, for shading, rough paper and soft pencils are the best. Hard pencils will not give a good effect on even the roughest paper. I'm sure GSP does not use Hx pencils. For underdrawing coloured work, hard pencils are more useful because they won't be picked up by whatever medium you are using for colouring. So I will soften my stance a little: for pencil-only drawings, the softer the better.

For colors I scan the completed pencils into the computer and my lovely wife
does her amazing work with photoshop 6.0.1. It's a team effort!

Then you picture are not really graphite, they are mixed media computerized images (please don't take this as an insult - it isn't meant to be). If you were shading, and using pencil only, then you would need to use soft pencils.

John Conway, Palaeoartist

"All art is quite useless." - Oscar Wilde

Protosite: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/
Systematic ramblings: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/phylogenetic/