Re: Oviraptor classification

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: Oviraptor classification

The only valid specimen assigned to Oviraptor philoceratops is the holotype AMNH 6517. The animal  normally illustrated as Oviraptor (IGM 100/42) is now assigned to the genus Citipati (probably a new species of this genus). Even the most famous brooding oviraptorid, Big Mom (IGM 100/979), is assigned to Citipati for the similarity of the maxilla to that of the holotype of this species (IGM 100/978).

I completely agree with Marco Auditore for the assignment of O. philoceratops (AMNH 6517), IGM 100/42, but if I remember correctly the material of IGM 100/979 (Big-Mom) do not include cranial fragments.

By
Alessandro Marisa
Via Achille Grandi n°18
Rovereto (TN) ITALY