Re: Vestigial Arms

It would seem to me that, in order for a tyrannosaur to use its arms
while subduing prey, it would have to hold the prey item extremely
close. My guess is that most large theropods probably employed a similar
strategy to komodo monitors and some snakes: take a quick bite, back
off, and assess the situation.

A well aimed bite could cripple an animal, of not kill it outright. If
it survived the initial hit, the predator can follow the wounded animal
until it weakens to the point of offering no resistence. Why hug your
prey to death, especially angry multi-tonne prey, when a series of
individual bites, punctuated by "getting the hell out of the way", would
do the trick?

GIS, Archaeologist          http://www.geocities.com/dannsdinosaurs