Re: Oviraptor classification

At 21.16 20/05/2002 +0200, you wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: Marco Auditore
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: Oviraptor classification

The only valid specimen assigned to Oviraptor philoceratops is the holotype AMNH 6517. The animal  normally illustrated as Oviraptor (IGM 100/42) is now assigned to the genus Citipati (probably a new species of this genus). Even the most famous brooding oviraptorid, Big Mom (IGM 100/979), is assigned to Citipati for the similarity of the maxilla to that of the holotype of this species (IGM 100/978).

I completely agree with Marco Auditore for the assignment of O. philoceratops (AMNH 6517), IGM 100/42, but if I remember correctly the material of IGM 100/979 (Big-Mom) do not include cranial fragments.

You are right, Sandro! I confused the embryo (IGM 100/971 that has the maxilla and that is assigned to Citipati) of an egg of the Big Mom (IGM 100/978).
Pardon me.
Bye

MARCO AUDITORE
"Volounteer of Museo Paleontologico Cittadino, Monfalcone"
Via S.Giovanni Battista, 7/23
16154 GENOVA SESTRI P. - ITALY
Tel: +39-010-6044259
E-mail: