Re: Vestigial Arms (was: Theropod limbs - how mobile?)

David Marjanovic wrote: I think the effectivity of this big bite depends on where it is placed.

Would binocular vision help? Is it definite that T-rex's had binocular vision? I read somewhere that the expanding of the back of the skull was just to increase bite strength and that if a rex closed it's mouth the muscles bulging out of the pre-orbital fenestra blocked it's forward line of sight. Anybody know anything about this?

David Marjanovic also wrote:
I think this depends on the weight estimates... with the same bones, a 4 t tyrannosaur could take much more than a 7 t tyrannosaur. Now we need to get the weight figured out...

What is the deal with figuring out weights? How are they worked out now and what is wrong with the results they give? It seems like such a fundamental part of dinosaur dynamics, are there any serious studies under way?

Tom Holtz wrote: let's just say that some very, very comprehensive work on growth
patterns in tyrannosaurids, addressing (among other things) arm length will
be published sometime this year (I think: could be early 2003).
AAARRGHH!  It's bad enough that he knows so much more than the rest of us, now he's dangling it just out of reach! Everyone else onlist wants a time machine to go back and look a dinos, I want one so I don't have to wait for papers!

I asked another question about my experimental cat, and Mike Skrepnick replied: In order to capture smaller, swift and agile prey, Deinonychus thrusts its hands forward temporarily enclosing the prey, pins it to the ground with pedal digit 2 ungual and dispatches victim with snapping jaws.

Ouch! And Schrodinger's cat thought he had a hard life....

Michael