Re: Vestigial Arms

David Marjanovic wrote:

> [...]

When you're a komodo dragon, perhaps. A tyrannosaur bite is another
manner.

> > A well aimed bite could cripple an animal, of not kill it outright.
>
> A less well aimed bite would require a second bite, and that the prey be
> hold in the meantime.

Not necessarily, if the initial bite is aimed an crippling the animal so
it can't run.

> > If it survived the initial hit, the predator can follow the wounded
> > animal until it weakens to the point of offering no resistence.
>
> Komodo monitors can follow their prey that way for _15 days_. I don't think
> an endothermic tyrannosaur could do that, could it?

Scale fifteen days down according to the different sizes of the wounds
made, and you're probably talking a matter of minutes. I imagine blood
loss from a tyrannosaur bite would have been enormous. And if the hunt
looked like failing after the first bite, there's always the next prey
item. Only about one in ten lion hunts result in a kill (unless that's
one of those urban legend figures that gets thrown about ad nauseum).

Personally, I don't see tyrannosaurs as the hugging type. Perhaps that's
just me.

GIS, Archaeologist          http://www.geocities.com/dannsdinosaurs