Re: Such a loss

On Mon, 20 May 2002 15:46:30
 KellyMilnerH wrote:
>In a message dated 5/20/2002 12:37:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>rtravsky@uwyo.edu writes:
>

>> NY Times - they require registering
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/20/obituaries/20CND-GOULD.html
>>
>> Stephen Jay Gould, the evolutionary theorist at Harvard University whose
>> lectures, research and prolific output of essays helped to reinvigorate
>> the field of paleontology, died today at his home in Manhattan. He was 60
>> years old. The cause was adenocarcinoma, his wife, Rhonda Roland Schearer,
>> said.
>>

>So, so sad. He will be missed, but never forgotten.

Certainly so.  I am very glad that he was able to publish his masterpiece, the
Structure of Evolutionary Theory, before he passed.  What a perfect book to
close a wonderful, albeit too short, career.  If any of us young scientists are
able to achieve one fifth of what Gould accomplished, our careers will be a
success.

Gould's passion for science, while reeled many into the field of paleontology,
will never be forgotten.

Steve

---
Steve Brusatte-DINO LAND PALEONTOLOGY
SITE: http://www.geocities.com/stegob

Outgrown your current e-mail service?
Get a 25MB Inbox, POP3 Access, No Ads and No Taglines with LYCOS MAIL PLUS.
http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus