Re: Fw: Theropods/pterosaurs -- pollinators?

It's certainly possible.  all you have to do is let the aeroelastic number fall below the bistable limit for a moment and then adjust the kinematics to take advantage.  That doesn't mean any of the beasties did it.

Larry Febo wrote:

 <Camber inversion? Do you think it was possible?>
<by "top heavy", I`m referring to everything above the balance point of the hip joint> I think that all pterosaurs must have come down pretty hard on their forepaws when landing.>
Why hard?  Quetzie didn't have to hit all that hard.  Seems to me it would be even easier for the smaller, more lightly loaded animals.  As an aside, flying frogs land at about 30 miles per hour and don't make any attempt to slow down before impacting.
<PS...I`m still looking into exactly what birds do when they land. I don`t think they all hover either. Just been observing bluejays landing at the feeder. They do seem to go into a stall just before landing.Can`t see it up close, but the alula must play a significant role.
The alula inhibits the stall from spreading spanwise. It also can affect the steady-state stall speed by roughly about 2-5% acting as a slat.   A very loosely analogous function to pterosaur fingers acting as vg's and with a roughly similar effect on stall speed.
Also the ability to absorb the shock with the leg muscles. It is not a simple process, but I still can`t see how pterosaurs could have accomplished a foot only contact landing in a relatively stiff perch (despite the pterodactyls in JPIII !)
Don't count on the big pterosaurs landing on anything that isn't flat.  I don't see much of a problem for the little pterosaurs but haven't looked at their landing capabilities either, so don't put any substantial weight on my opinion in that regard.